Tuesday 29 May 2012

The Cheese Rap

So, I wrote a rap this week. It's about cheese.

You're probably going to need some more information to make sense of those statements.

Recently my friend Hannah and I started making videos and uploading them to YouTube. Yes, I realise that not long ago I claimed that I was far too boring to consider doing this but apparently I've changed my mind. Anyway, we decided to start sending each other weekly challenges (we've now done one each), partly because we live in different parts of the country and don't get to see each other often enough, and partly because apparently we like making fools of ourselves.

I'm not going to lie - part of the reason I'm writing this bloglet is because I'd quite like the view count on our videos to reach double (or even triple!) figures - it's always a nice feeling when someone takes an interest in (and hopefully enjoys) something I've made ...

BUT

I'm also writing this bloglet because I think it's really important that we all occasionally do something which challenges ourselves.

So my first challenge was to write and perform a rap about cheese.

Now, admittedly, I had plenty of time to write this rap and I wasn't performing it to a live audience - just a camera lens in my bedroom - and I was able to edit out any mistakes that I didn't want in the final video, but I still found it pretty tough because I'm really REALLY not into rap music. At all. Everything I know about rap could probably fit onto a post-it note, so the idea of having to write my own rap and then actually share it with people, was a little unnerving.

But I did it.

I'm certainly nothing that Eminem or 50 Cent need to worry about (they're still current, right?) but I'm pretty proud of myself for having a go. And I suppose that's the point I'm trying to make here - that if we can't occasionally dress up and rap about cheese in our bedrooms while wearing a pair of 3D glasses 'accidentally' taken from the cinema, then really what's the point of it all?

No, wait ... the 'challenge yourself' thing ... yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. If that happens to involve dressing up and rapping about cheese, then all the better!




6 comments:

  1. That was awesome! Great job!

    I love the "challenge yourself" idea behind the videos. Can't wait to see more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant and will be in my head for the rest of the day - HALLOUMI!!! It's really brightened up our day in the office. We've just launched a Cheese Rap competition with the Global Cheese Awards, which you might be interested in. All the details are on the website http://www.globalcheeseawards.com/cheeserapcompetition/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As IF there is a cheese rap competition! Amazing!

      Delete
  3. That was awesome! I love the idea of challenging yourself too. You're certainly braver than I am. And I love your accent; everything just sounds so much cooler with an accent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you liked it! I don't really ever think that I have an accent, but if it makes me sound cooler then thanks!

      Delete